September 14th, 2012
There’s a debate going on in the small business world. Should you go ultra-narrow and focus on a specific niche or should you offer a wide variety of services?
Both targets have valid pluses and minuses.
1. Pro for Wide & Con for Narrow: You open yourself up for a greater possibility of work beyond what you already offer.
2. Pro for Wide & Con for Narrow: You might catch a client you would not have with only a narrow offering.
3. Pro for Wide & Con for Narrow: If your client hired you for one area of work and liked your services, they most likely would be happy to hire you for a different area of services.
4. Pro for Wide & Con for Narrow: If you get overloaded, it might be harder to find other specialists from your narrow niche to provide help.
1. Con for Wide & Pro for Narrow: You may not be able to go as deeply in personal learning if your focus is too scattered.
2. Con for Wide & Pro for Narrow: Your reputation will be easier to maintain if you are known for one specific area of strength.
3. Con for Wide & Pro for Narrow: You may become the best in your field.
4. Con for Wide & Pro for Narrow: There is much less competition if your offering is narrow.
Photo credits (Creative Commons licensed): Wide road (http://www NULL.flickr NULL.com/photos/travelstar/3128488970/) and narrow road (http://www NULL.flickr NULL.com/photos/chodhound/7226763142/).